Washington, DC: April 9, 2010-- In its second win in two days, and fifth straight, the University of the District of Columbia Firebirds defeated ECC Conference foe St. Thomas Aquinas College Spartans, 7-2, today, at the UDC Tennis Courts in Washington, DC.
Junior Bruno Reich ( Business Management- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) led the way winning his singles match by defeating Armando Estevez, 6-0, 6-0, then combining with junior Tomas Gajdusek (Prague, Czech Republic) to defeat Estevez and Nick Cittadino, 8-0, in doubles competition.
The Firebirds took a second doubles match when freshmen Miguel Uzcategui (Electrical Engineering-Valencia, Venezuela) and Carlos Quiroga (Electrical Engineering- Valencia, Venezuela) defeated Antoine Venard and Prince Silva, 8-1.
In singles competition, the Firebirds won five of the six matches as they picked up their second conference win of the season and improved their overall record to 11-3.
The Firebirds return to the courts on April 12, against St. Mary's University in St. Mary's City, Maryland.
UDC – 7, St. Thomas Aquinas – 2
1. Gajdusek/Reich def. Estevez/Cittadino (STAC) 8-0
2. Uzcategui/Quiroga def. Venard/Silva (STAC) 8-1
3. Keshwani/Maysonet (STAC) def. Bernard/Jayatilleke 9-7
1. Tomas Gajdusek def. Antoine Venard (STAC) 7-6(2), 6-4
2. Bruno Reich def. Armando Estevez (STAC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Miguel Uzcategui def. Lakshya Keshwani (STAC) 6-0, 6-2
4. Carlos Quiroga def. Nick Cittadino (STAC) 6-3, 5-7, 6-1
5. Prince Silva (STAC) def. Karlon Bernard 6-3, 6-1
6. Lalindra Jayatilleke def. Dan Maysonet (STAC) 6-3, 6-4
UDC – 7
STAC – 2
Season Record (W-L) 11 – 3, 2 – 0 ECC