Washington, DC - The UDC Women's Tennis Team opened up their 2011-2012 campaign at home today at the UDC Tennis Facilty in Washington, DC. The Firebirds fell in a tough match-up against the number one ranked team in the East Coast Conference (ECC), Queens College by a score of 2-7.
Senior Maria Vitkina and Sophomore Jessica Nunez led the way winning their singles matches. Vitkina defeated Anna Rodionova, 7-6(5), 6-4, while Nunez won by defeating Tatala-Colin, 6-2, 7-5. Kristyna Nepivodova dropped a close one in a back and forth match-up against Erika Goldsmith, 6-4, 7-6(5).
Head Tennis Coach T. Richard Mahaffey was pleased with his team's effort saying, "I am not happy about the loss, but I was pleased with the fight and competitiveness our girls showed today. Queens College is a tough team who won the ECC Conference last year."
The Firebirds return to the courts tomorrow in another ECC matchup against NYIT at the UDC Tennis Facility.
UDC - 2, Queens College – 7
1. Tatala-Colin/Goldsmith (QC) def. Nunez/Vitkina 8-4
2. Rodionova/Fanchin (QC) def. Nepivodova/Duijst 8-3
3. Barber/Salvetova (QC) def. Leon/Abilla 8-1
1. Jessica Nunez def. Linda Tatala-Colin (QC) 6-2, 7-5
2. Erika Goldsmith (QC) def. Kristyna Nepivodova 6-4, 7-6(5)
3. Maria Vitkina def. Anna Rodionova (QC) 7-6(5), 6-4
4. Francesca Fanchin (QC) def. Maxime Duijst 6-3, 6-1
5. Phoebe Chiem (QC) def. Sofia Leon 6-2, 6-0
6. Daniela Celi (QC) def. Ty Abilla 6-3, 6-0
UDC - 2
QC - 7
Season Record (W-L): 0 - 1, 0 - 1 ECC