Washington, DC - The Women's Tennis Team dominated play at home today at the UDC Tennis Facility in Washington, DC. The Firebirds took on East Coast Conference (ECC) foe New York Institute of Technology and came out on top by a score of 8-1.
Junior Kristyna Nepivodova (Breznice, Czech Republic - Gymnasium pod Svatou Horou) and Freshman Maxime Duijst (Valkenswaard, Netherlands - Pliencollege Sint-Joris) teamed up to defeat Rocio Benavent and Melanie Hoffer, 8-3. Also in doubles play, Junior Tadai Abilla (Galloway, NJ - Absegami HS) and Freshman Sofia Leon (Quito, Ecuador - Pensionado Universitario) won their match-up against Kelly Duarte and Alexis Tyson, 8-0.
In singles competition, the Firebirds won all of their matches. Sophomore Jessica Nunez (Guayaquil, Ecuador - American School of Guayaquil) won the battle of the #1's by defeating Rocio Benavent 7-5. 6-4. Senior Maria Vitkina (Ekaterinburg, Russia - Linguistic Gymnasium 13) also dominated her match-up against Gaby Rodriguez 6-3, 7-5.
Head Tennis Coach T. Richard Mahaffey was happy with his team's response after yesterday's result and was glad to secure their first win of the year.
The Firebirds return to the courts next week on Tuesday against Mount Saint Mary's at the UDC Tennis Facility.
UDC – 8, New York Institute of Technology – 1
1. Burinato/Rodriguez (NYIT) def. Nunez/Vitkina 9-8(4)
2. Nepivodova/Duijst def. Benavent/Hoffer (NYIT) 8-3
3. Leon/Abilla def. Duarte/Tyson (NYIT) 8-0
1. Jessica Nunez def. Rocio Benavent (NYIT) 7-5, 6-4
2. Kristyna Nepivodova def. Sara Burinato (NYIT) 6-2, 6-4
3. Maria Vitkina def. Gaby Rodriguez (NYIT) 6-3, 7-5
4. Maxime Duijst def. Melanie Hoffer (NYIT) 6-2, 6-1
5. Sofia Leon def. Kelly Duarte (NYIT) 6-0, 6-0
6. Ty Abilla def. Alexis Tyson (NYIT) 6-0, 6-1
UDC – 8
NYIT – 1
Season Record (W-L): 1 – 1, 1 – 1 ECC