Washington, DC—The UDC Women's Tennis Team competed in the ECC Finals against NYIT and were crowned the 2011 Women's Tennis ECC Champions. The Firebirds came out on top by a score of 5-1.
The women's team battled through doubles play and picked up two points. Junior Kristyna Nepivodova and Freshman Maxime Duijst combined to defeat Rocio Benavent and Melanie Hoffer, 8-4. Also Junior Tadai Abilla and Freshman Sofia Leon defeated Chelsey Bipat and Alexis Tyson by a score of 8-2.
The women's team came out with a purpose in the singles competition. The Firebirds picked up two more valuable points when Leon and Duijst picked up singles wins. Leon had a dominating performance by beating Chelsey Bipat 6-1, 6-1. Duijst then came out on top against Melanie Hoffer 6-0, 6-1. The final point came in a long, hard-fought match when Sophomore Jessica Nunez clinched the title with a win over Rocio Benavent 6-3, 6-4.
The Firebirds return to the courts Sunday when they travel to Philadelphia, PA to take on Holy Family University.
(1) UDC – 5, (2) New York Institute of Technology - 1
1. Burinato/Rodriguez (NYIT) def. Nunez/Vitkina 9-8(2)
2. Nepivodova/Duijst def. Benavent/Hoffer (NYIT) 8-4
3. Leon/Abilla def. Bipat/Tyson (NYIT) 8-2
1. Jessica Nunez def. Rocio Benavent (NYIT) 6-3, 6-4
2. Kristyna Nepivodova vs. Sara Burinato (NYIT) (4)6-7, 2-3
3. Maria Vitkina vs. Gaby Rodriguez (NYIT) 5-7, 5-2
4. Maxime Duijst def. Melanie Hoffer (NYIT) 6-0, 6-1
5. Sofia Leon def. Chelsey Bipat (NYIT) 6-1, 6-1
6. Ty Abilla vs. Alexis Tyson (NYIT) 6-0, 2-1
UDC – 5
NYIT – 1
Season Record (W-L): 9 – 0, ECC: 8 – 0