UDC Women’s Tennis Wins ECC Championship 5-1 Over NYIT
Washington, DC—The UDC Women's Tennis Team competed in the ECC Finals against NYIT and were crowned the 2011 Women's Tennis ECC Champions. The Firebirds came out on top by a score of 5-1.
The women's team battled through doubles play and picked up two points. Junior Kristyna Nepivodova and Freshman Maxime Duijst combined to defeat Rocio Benavent and Melanie Hoffer, 8-4. Also Junior Tadai Abilla and Freshman Sofia Leon defeated Chelsey Bipat and Alexis Tyson by a score of 8-2.
The women's team came out with a purpose in the singles competition. The Firebirds picked up two more valuable points when Leon and Duijst picked up singles wins. Leon had a dominating performance by beating Chelsey Bipat 6-1, 6-1. Duijst then came out on top against Melanie Hoffer 6-0, 6-1. The final point came in a long, hard-fought match when Sophomore Jessica Nunez clinched the title with a win over Rocio Benavent 6-3, 6-4.
The Firebirds return to the courts Sunday when they travel to Philadelphia, PA to take on Holy Family University.
(1) UDC – 5, (2) New York Institute of Technology - 1
1. Burinato/Rodriguez (NYIT) def. Nunez/Vitkina 9-8(2)
2. Nepivodova/Duijst def. Benavent/Hoffer (NYIT) 8-4
3. Leon/Abilla def. Bipat/Tyson (NYIT) 8-2
1. Jessica Nunez def. Rocio Benavent (NYIT) 6-3, 6-4
2. Kristyna Nepivodova vs. Sara Burinato (NYIT) (4)6-7, 2-3
3. Maria Vitkina vs. Gaby Rodriguez (NYIT) 5-7, 5-2
4. Maxime Duijst def. Melanie Hoffer (NYIT) 6-0, 6-1
5. Sofia Leon def. Chelsey Bipat (NYIT) 6-1, 6-1
6. Ty Abilla vs. Alexis Tyson (NYIT) 6-0, 2-1
UDC – 5
NYIT – 1
Season Record (W-L): 9 – 0, ECC: 8 – 0