Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Firebirds Fall, 2-0 vs. Lock Haven

Kelvin Herrera's free-kick cross nearly resulted in a goal for UDC in the 1st half.
Kelvin Herrera's free-kick cross nearly resulted in a goal for UDC in the 1st half.

WASHINGTON, DC – The University of the District of Columbia men's soccer team was defeated, 2-0 by Lock Haven University in NCAA Division II non-regional play Tuesday afternoon at UDC Field.

The Firebirds fell to 6-9-1 overall with the loss, and the Bald Eagles, of the Atlantic Region and Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) improved to 6-7-3 with the win.

LHU got on the board a little over five minutes in when Brian Flatter sent a corner kick into the box and Gage Rims finished for his 1st goal of the season to give the visitors an early, 1-0 lead.

UDC had one quality chance to even the score with around 14 minutes left to play in the first half. Senior midfielder Kelvin Herrera sent into the box a high, arching free kick from about 30 yards out, and it was headed down by senior midfielder Gabriel Torres to the chest of senior forward Salah Warid. After chesting it down, Warid quickly fired a hard shot from point-blank range, but Jason Keller made a diving play to bat the ball away and preserve the shutout.

In the 2nd half, the Firebirds were out-shot, 8-4, and they were unable to put any shot on goal. Senior goalkeeper Joao Brusamolin surrendered a 2nd Bald Eagles goal in the 65th minute, and the Firebirds had no answer offensively.

Brusamolin stopped three of five shots faced before he was relieved for the final 25 minutes by freshman Daniel Eisenhauer. The Australian goalkeeper did not face any shots in his stint in goal.

Keller, a freshman goalkeeper, made a total of four saves to preserve the shutout victory. This marked just the 3rd time this season that UDC was held scoreless in a game.

The Firebirds' 2018 season finale is Saturday, October 27th vs. Mercy College. The game kicks off at 3 p.m.